Handbook Pages Map

Select a page from the list below

Site Misc Pages

  • Home

  • Living on Campus

    The following as an A-Z of living on campus, which will provide you with some useful information.

    When to call 999:

    • When it’s an emergency.
    • When a crime is in progress.
    • If someone suspected of a crime is nearby.
    • When there is danger to life.
    • When violence is being used or threatened.

    If you don’t need an emergency response, then you should call 101 or use the online reporting form, which can be found at http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/.

    If you need to call 999 please then contact 2222 from an internal phone or 01752 636700 Ext. 2222 and let us know.

    Campus Support

    The Campus Support Assistants work between 07:30 and 20:00 from Monday to Friday. They are located in the Campus Services Office.

    The Campus Security Staff will provide support between 20:00 to 08:00 Monday to Friday and at the weekends. They look after the safety and security of the establishment and conduct regular patrols.

    The Senior Warden, Resident Wardens and Resident Student Advisers  (RSAs) are on a duty rota out of normal office hours.

    The Senior Warden (Lance Doggart) is responsible for:

    • Resident student welfare.
    • Maintaining good resident conduct.
    • Disciplinary procedures for misconduct.
    • Management of wardens & RSAs.

    Campus can be a lively place to live with a diverse population and sometimes not everyone is able to "get along". 

    The Wardens and RSA team can help with noisy neighbours, feeling homesick, not knowing your way around and are the first port of call for any incidents or accidents. 

    The Campus Support Team assist in making your stay on campus enjoyable whilst taking into account everyone's safety and wellbeing.

    In the event of an incident please call 01752 636700 then extension 2222 and the Campus Support Assistants or Campus Security Staff will contact the duty RSA.

    Code of Practice

    The University aims to comply with and is committed to the standards of the Universities UUK/Guild HE Code of Practice for the Management of Student Housing.  The code can be viewed at www.thesac.org.uk/


    In the first instance your complaint should be raised with the Accommodation Administrator.  Should your problem not be resolved and you have cause for concern then please refer to the complaints procedure section of the Student Regulations Framework in the Student Handbook.


    Good Conduct and Student Discipline apply as agreed by the Council of Management of the University. If you cannot conduct yourself in a socially acceptable manner you will be subject to the disciplinary procedures. 

    • Bullying - Can be physical, verbal, written or visual abuse, harassment, discrimination or intimidation. Bullying may be discrimination as a result of an individual's disability, gender, age, ethnicity, religion or sexuality.  Exclusion or being ignored by your friends, pressure to take part in so-called 'initiation ceremonies' in order to be accepted or intrusion of privacy are also forms of bullying. Any attention which is unwanted and causes you to feel harassed, fearful, alarmed or distressed is thought of as 'unacceptable behaviour'. Any incident of unacceptable behaviour brought to the University's attention will be formally investigated and may, where proven, lead to the dismissal of a member of staff or the expulsion of a student.
    • Anyone who has suffered a bullying incident is encouraged to report the matter, informally or formally, by following the appropriate procedure for students which are set out in the Student Handbook.
    • Quiet Enjoyment - You are expected to have quiet enjoyment and are requested to show a consideration to others with regard to noise. Avoid at all times being a nuisance and annoyance to others.  You are expected to show a healthy respect to one another.  After midnight it is expected that residents will keep noise to a minimum.
    • Respect - A lack of respect for values and consideration for others, together with anti-social behaviour of some individuals can make life a misery for others.  We all have responsibilities as well as rights, civility and good manners.  We need to know if people are behaving in an unacceptable manner. If you are being affected please report this to the Accommodation Office, Campus Support Team or Marjon Student Union or Student Support.

    Cooking safely

    Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires, and the leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. It’s important to be alert when cooking.  Some general pointers for cooking safely are:

    • Avoid leaving cooking unattended.
    • Don't cook if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy.
    • Take care not to lean over hot hobs and keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
    • Be careful to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a buildup of fat and grease, which could ignite and cause a fire.
    • Use spark devices to light gas cookers - they are much safer than matches or lighters as they don't have a naked flame.
    • Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you've finished cooking.
    • Check toasters are clean and placed away from anything that can catch fire.
    • Never put anything metal in the microwave.
    • Never use a barbecue indoors or on a balcony - burning or smoldering fuel can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
    • Supervise children and pets in the kitchen at all times and keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach.

    If you are deep frying food it’s important to remember:

    • Dry food before you put it in the hot oil.
    • Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil.
    • If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot.  Turn off the heat and leave to cool. 

    If a pan catches fire:

    • Don't tackle the fire yourself and don't attempt to move the pan.
    • Never throw water over a fire as it could create a fireball.
    • Turn off the heat, if it is safe to do so.
    • Leave the room, close the door, shout a warning to others and call 999.


    It is important that you take time to complete your inventory on arrival and return it to the Estates Office within 48 hours.  This will be checked again when you vacate the accommodation and any damage, cleaning, removal of items will be charged against your deposit. 

    You are responsible for your room and shared areas.


    On departure your room will be checked against your inventory. Study bedrooms together with communal areas must be left in a good clean manner, all belongings removed and all rubbish disposed of.  Any additional cleaning or damage caused will be deducted from your deposit or to collectively to all deposits.  Any items left in your accommodation after your departure will be disposed of immediately.  The University will assume no responsibility.

    Keys are to be returned to Main Reception.  Failure to do so will result in the automatic charge of £70 against your deposit for replacement lock charges.   

    Electrical Safety

    The electricity supply is the UK standard of 240 volt at a frequency of 50 Hertz. Your room is fitted with standard 13 amp 3 pin sockets.  Always remember:

    • Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water.
    • Turn off electrical appliances when they are not in use.
    • Don’t overload sockets.  Use one plug in each socket.  If you have to use a fused adaptor and keep the total output to no more than 13 amps.
    • If you are travelling from overseas you will need to bring the appropriate adaptor for your electrical items to work and be safe.
    • High rated appliances always need their own socket. The University reserves the right to remove any of your personal electrical equipment believed to be dangerous.  This includes overloading sockets and having cables running across the room.


    If you have to call an ambulance or fire brigade direct the number is 999 or 112 from your mobile.  Please ensure you inform Reception so they can direct the ambulance or fire brigade on arrival (extension 2222 out of hours).

    If you require a first aider contact Main Reception 01752 636700 or extension 0 or extension 2222 out of hours who will call for a first aider, or contact your RSA. 


    Most fires can be prevented by taking some basic and common sense precautions. It’s important that you know how to reduce the chances of a fire starting in your home and keep yourself, and your property, safe.

    Please note that ALL accommodation is strictly non-smoking.

    • Never store combustible materials in accommodation.
    • Don’t overload plug sockets and remember to switch off electrical equipment, such as hair straighteners, blow dryers and mobile phone chargers, when not in use.
    • Secure portable heaters up against a wall, so they don’t fall over. Keep them away from curtains and furnishings and never dry clothes on them.
    • Know your escape route. Make sure you and your housemates know the quickest way out in the event of fire and consider an alternative route in case your usual one is blocked.
    • Please see the Cooking Safely section.
    • Keep fire doors closed at all times.  Fire doors found wedged open will result in a fine of £150 being made against the Licensee and/or collectively with the Licensees of the area involved.  Disciplinary action will be taken against anyone abusing this equipment.
    • Misuse, malicious activation, tampering with and theft of any firefighting or fire protection equipment will result in a fine of £150 being made against the Licensees of the area involved. Disciplinary action will be taken against anyone abusing this equipment.
    • Maliciously activating a fire alarm is a CRIMINAL offence, liable to Police action.
    • Fire alarms will be tested every Wednesday at 3.00pm.

    Please visit http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/ for further advice


    DO NOT touch any gas equipment.  The University uses a Gas safety engineer.


    Heating is controlled by the building management system.  Please report if you are cold or your radiators or not working when they should be at http://help/portal


    Your contents are insured whilst you are a Licensee.  A copy of your policy is in your room on arrival or visit www.cover4students.com/blockhalls


    In the event that you suspend your studies you are required to inform the Accommodation Administrator.  Your Dining In Scheme card will be cancelled and any monies due refunded, your room will be checked and your deposit refunded.  Please note that unless you can find a suitable replacement for your room there is no refund of rent. 


    An ironing board is provided in each kitchen.  Irons are not provided.  When ironing please use the ironing boards provided and never leave an iron on unattended.


    You will be held responsible for your keys.  Should you mislay or lose your keys a charge of £70 will be deducted from your deposit for a lock change.


    You are responsible for the general cleanliness of the kitchen including the cooking facilities, fridges and freezers and must take full responsibility.  Any damage caused will result in a deduction being made against you and/or the Licensees collectively.  You will be informed when a kitchen inspection is planned and if your kitchen is not to an acceptable standard then a "fine” (up to £250) will be issued and you will be charged for a professional clean (£150).

    Outside of inspections if your kitchen is reported as unacceptable then your will be issued with a "red card” giving you 24 hours to clean up, failure to clean up will result in a fine (up to £250) and you will be charged for a professional clean (£150). 

    Please note that the cupboards under the sink unit are not suitable for food storage.


    Each village house has a washing machine. However, there are no washing machines supplied to halls of residence. There is a launderette which holds 9 washing machines and 10 tumble dryers . You pay for these per use. 


    • Emergencies - For fire, flood, gas leak or electrical requirements that effect health and safety 01752 636700 extension 3076 or 01752 636776. Out of normal office hours 01752 636700 then extension 2222. Emergencies will be dealt with within 24 hours (Please see your contract for response times).
    • Routine Maintenance - Any concern you have regarding maintenance must be reported promptly to the Maintenance Department via the helpdesk at http://help/portal.

    Please do not ask, or expect your flatmates or other members of staff to report matters for you. 

    Where possible, please report maintenance problems in the morning in order to provide sufficient time for the work to be carried out.

    Non-emergency repairs reported on a Saturday and Sunday will not be dealt with until the Monday of the following week.  Depending on the urgency and nature of the problem the fault will either be passed to one of our residence handymen, or to an external contractor.  Issues are dealt with at varying speeds depending on the importance and pressure of work for the various trades persons involved.  Please bear with us in this respect as we do endeavour to have work carried out as quickly as possible. 

    Once a fault has been reported an authorised person will enter your room to access or carry out a repair.  Please note that no prior notice will be given and you should allow access to the room in order to avoid the repair being delayed.

    • Access - It is your responsibility to permit the University contractors or staff to enter your room to inspect the condition of the room and to carry out repairs, maintenance and cleaning.   It is your responsibility to therefore, maintain a safe environment for the employees who may have to enter the premises. Please do not litter or obstruct the Room or the Shared Areas and keep all passageways, stairways, exits and fire exits on the premises clear of obstruction and combustible materials.
    • Litter - The accommodation grounds are tidied on a regular basis and should be kept free from litter and rubbish.  You are expected to keep the grounds clean and tidy.  All litter must be taken to the bins. 
    • It is completely unacceptable to dispose of any rubbish out of windows and any student found to be doing this could face disciplinary action.
    • Redecoration - The University reserves the right to move you to alternative accommodation on campus for redecoration or maintenance purposes.  There will be no adjustment to residence fees.

    Non-Smoking Policy

    All accommodation including your room is strictly non-smoking.  The University non-smoking policy prevents any person smoking within any building and within 5 meters of a window or entrance and this includes residential accommodation. If there is evidence that you are contravening this rule you will be required to vacate your accommodation.

    Notice boards

    Each bedroom has a fixed notice board and you are expected to place your notices on it.  Damage to walls will be charged against your deposit or to Resident Occupiers deposits collectively.  Blue tac or white tac does mark the walls and you will be charged a contribution towards painting if blue tac or white tac has caused damage.


    No animal is allowed in accommodation or on the University premises.  Guide dogs only are permitted.


    When addressing mail your 'Hall/House & Room Number' should appear as the first line of the address then:

    The University of St Mark & St John
    Derriford Road
    PL6 8BH

    Please call at the Campus Services office to collect your mail or parcels.

    There is a Royal Mail post box situated outside the shop on your way to the Halls.


    Please recycle.  Dry mix recycling bins are available in the accommodation and you can place paper, plastic and cardboard in these. Glass recycling bags are available.  You are responsible for taking your recycling and general waste to the skips around the campus. There is no Refuge collection from accommodation.


    You are responsible for your room and your area. 

    • Keep the outer main door of accommodation areas and bedroom doors locked at all times. 
    • All fire doors must be kept closed at all times.
    • Please do not allow entry into accommodation or to your bedroom to any unauthorised or unknown persons at any time.  If in doubt, seek help by calling main reception.  University staff and contractors have identification badges so feel free to ask to see it.
    • You must to take special notice of security.  Always let your friends know when you will be away even if only for a night or a few days.  If you have any reason to be concerned about the safety / absence / whereabouts of anyone please inform the Accommodation Administrator or Student Support immediately.
    • This campus is an "open” campus and you cannot guarantee that people about are students or staff, accommodation doors must be kept locked and secure at all times.
    • Devon and Cornwall Police strongly recommend that residents mark all belongings and equipment with a UV marker pen for identification purposes and suggest you use your postcode as identification.
    • If your wallet or purse is stolen, immediately inform your bank and cancel your debit cards.
    • Mobiles are by far the most popular items stolen from young people.  Dialling *#06# will give you your unique mobile registration (IMEI) number. Make a note and register it at www.immobilise.com. If your phone is then lost or stolen, a quick call to the immobilise hotline (08701 123 123) will result in your handset being blocked on all the networks.
    • Do be suspicious of e-mails or phone calls requesting too much personal information and destroy papers carrying bank or credit card details. Identity theft is on the increase.


    There is at least one telephone in each hall of residence and village house.  External calls cannot be made, however internal extensions can be dialled and incoming calls can be received.


    Not all rooms have a TV point.  Therefore you may need to purchase an indoor aerial for your television.  Please note that it is a criminal offence not to have a valid TV Licence and you are responsible to purchase one for your room.

    When applying for your TV Licence please give the full University College address plus your Hall of Residence or Village House number and room number.

    If you receive correspondence from the TV Licensing Authority you must respond.

    Residents caught without a TV Licence will be fined.  You must inform the TV Licensing Authority when you change your address. 

    For more information click HERE.


    You are on a fixed term student resident agreement and may occupy your accommodation during the Christmas and Easter vacations.  You are required to vacate you accommodation at the end of your agreement before the summer vacation.

    There are no storage facilities on campus and you are advised to make arrangements for storage with private companies. 


    By prior arrangement with the Accommodation Office it may be possible, subject to availability, to offer temporary or overnight accommodation to visitors at a cost of £25 per person per night room only.  Visitors are asked to make arrangements with the Accommodation Administrator.  If you are having someone stay in your room please let us know their name and the nights they are staying.


    All water outlets in both the bedrooms and the kitchens are mains fed water and drinkable.


    In the event that you withdraw from your course you are required to inform the Accommodation Administrator.  Your Dining In Scheme card will be cancelled and any monies due refunded, your room will be checked and your deposit refunded.  Please note that unless you can find a suitable replacement for your room there is no refund of rent. 

    All content on this site is © Plymouth Marjon University 2018
    Home | Admin Area | Version 1.0